Every developer must have this hook on his local machine in order to:
- Commit codes locally several times then pushes it to the server.
- Merge auto-commits with auto-messages without referencing to a Jira ticket.
The commit-msg hook is a python script file and it must be placed in the developer's local repository as:
.git/hooks/commit-msg. There is no server-side hook required.
The following settings must be configured in the script file:
- JIRA_HOST_NAME -- hostname of the Jira.
- JIRA_USER, JIRA_PASSWORD -- developer's credentials.
- JIRA_TICKET_PATTERN -- pattern that will search ticket references.
In Linux and OSX, this file must have executable permissions in the file system; in Windows, setting this permission is not necessary. To use the hook in Windows without python installed, see Python on Windows FAQ ».
See the commit-msg hook code on the right panel or download the sample commit-msg file ↓, make the necessary changes, and place it in the required folder.